On Brač, Croatia's biggest island of olives and marble lies a little, like in a fairytale village, together with its own people named Sutivan. It is a peacefull, beautiful place that offers to each guest enjoyment in discovering its preferences. There is no crowd, speed and noise, and you will have the opportunity to taste the true authentic flavor, smell and color of Dalmatia, its cuisine and its idyllic local life.
Beside the landscaped pebble beaches the guests smell the smell of pine forests and the whipped sea waves. The most humble traveler will rest even more while taking a doze in the shade of gentle tamaris. The swallowtail is the most lively song that feeds both children and adults. The melodious and endless concert of the trumpeters and the warm wind make everyone dive into the purest sea in the world. And in the starry nights, this picturesque place connected by a long promenade along the sea offers a pleasant Dalmatian dinner in its restaurants, and in the bars intoxicated drinks of the Mediterranean atmosphere. In the blue nights in the middle of August, from the hill above Sutivan, you can watch the stars of the Perzeid meteorite in Dalmatia known as Tears of St. Lawrence.
Natural kindness, hospitality and centuries-old diligence of the population, have made this place an oasis of peace and tranquility. That's why Sutivan's residents rejoice to every guest and consider him as a sincere friend.
Welcome to the intact gem of the island Brac - Sutivan!
General information about Sutivan
Name: Sutivan had these names in the past also: Stivan (1423.), Villa Stivani (1445.), Stiuano (1499.) Stivano (1519.), Stiuanis (1543.), Castel San Zuanne (1588.), Santo Giovanni (1639.), Sveti Ivan (1700.), Stivanj (1875.).
According to the name of the early Christian basilica Sanctus Johanner in the roman-Croatian language symbiosis it was created earlier than the X century by the Croatian form Stivan, through the older form of Sutivan. The latter form is the official name of the place because it was later artificially supported, although the name Stivan appears almost always in historical records, and the Bracans call it so. The church was in Fonte, which is today 's form of the term Bunta (lat. Ponta - cape), because the historical spring is called the Ponta nigra (lat. black war), probably by the coniferous forests around the church and monastery. For this monastery today we know thanks to the preserved name of Mojstir, which originates from the greek concept monasterion - monastery. If you add to these names also the name Svićuraj (lat. Sanctus Gerogius) for the cove in the west of the municipality and the former church in it, were the mass was held in 1602, it is clear that the place names are very old and Sutivan also.
Sutivan is a village, harbor and municipality (22.18 km²) on the far northwest of the island Brač. According to the 2011 census, there are 826 inhabitants.
Sutivan's parts are:
Spojizbanda, Bunta and Lučica. Each of these parts is divided into smaller parts: Mlin, Mostir, Vela Bunta, Mala Bunta (before Pod Baraku), Novelovi Dvori, Stipanovi Dvori, Žuvića Dvori, Porat, Pod Kaštil, Jankov Dvor, Novi Put, Stasić, Smrdejina, Škrape, Manduhorovića Dvori, Kancilir, Šimatorija, Slavića Dvori i Biskupija.
The village was built in the late 15th century, and were founded by immigrants from the interior of the island who descended to the sea, as well as part migrants from the land. The first settlement was founded on the site of the old church of St. Ivan by which he got the name. There was also an older church from VI. century, which in VIII. and IX. century is mentioned in connection with Split's prior Peter. On the old foundations a partly new church was built.
In the village there are several sacral and secular architectural objects and recognizable units from the past. Panorama of the settlement is dominated by the baroque Renaissance parish church of the Assumption of Mary with the bell tower, church of St. Ivan, church of St. Rok were the cemetery is, renaissance house or the tower of Jakov Božićević-Natalis, around which Ilić house is built with baroque park, the baroque mansion of the poet Josip Kavanjin, the castle of the Marjanović family, the catacombs (which are new cemeteries), and the house of Definis where the collection of furniture and art objects is. In the church of St. Ivan are the ruins or foundations of the Old Christian Church from VI. century.
In the past, the most important industries were fishing and viticulture. However, due to vine diseases so called wine clause the agriculture has been weakened and a large number of residents at the end of the 19th century and in the early 20th century moved to North and South America. Today in Sutivan dominates olive growing and tourism.